Friday, April 4, 2014

A to Z April - Letter D: Dystopia

 

For the letter D, I've chosen a genre (not sure if that's the correct term for that) of literature that is currently very popular, and is one that is one of my favorites.  I will share five of my favorite dystopian series today.





1.  The Giver Series by Lois Lowry

-->




 

I had read all of them, and then got an ARC of the 4th book, Son, when I went to BEA 2 years ago.  I'm sorry to say I have yet to read it though.  I saw that they are doing a movie, and I'm excited, although from the preview I saw, it doesn't match what I saw in my head when I read The Giver.  Looks like I'll be doing a re-read of that in the near future.

2.  The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins:



I first learned of this book when I read it for the state library association book award list.  I loved The Hunger Games so much that I began teaching it in a class we had every day that was for enrichment.  Now, I think because I did that, the first movie was a big disappointment to me. So much left out.  However since I hadn't read the second book, Catching Fire, more than 2 or 3 times, and it had been a while, I was able to enjoy the 2nd movie more.

3.  Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth:


This is a series that I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of the first book.  But then, I didn't get one of the 2nd book, and didn't get it until two months after it was published.  So while I got a bit behind between one and two, when number three came out, I bought it on the publishing date (which happened to be my birthday last year), and read it right away!  Also, LOVED the first movie, I think they did a really good job compared to how some movies from books have been done lately.

4.  Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie:





This is a book that I also got an ARC of the first in the series, but then had to wait till the books were published to read on.  I LOVED the first one, the 2nd one was okay, and the third was maybe a bit long for me.

5.  The Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix:

-->



I can't remember for sure when I read this series, and yes, it is a bit younger than the others, but it is a really good series, and Margaret Peterson Haddix is one of my favorite authors.  I have the picture on the left showing all the books, and then the one on the right is one I found when searching for images to use for this post.  I like the cover of it a bit better, I think it would be more appealing to kids today, maybe make them not see it as such a young book and give it a chance.

Are you a dystopia fan?  I haven't listed here all the ones I've read, just chose the top five, and the top five that all of the books in the series are out and I have read, well except for the The Giver series I mean. 

And hey, while you're here, go enter my giveaway on the Fool for Books Giveaway Hop.

8 comments:

  1. AMAZING POST. I love dystopian books, they are basically life, and I've read all of the series except the one by Margaret Peterson Haddix. We have similar taste! :)

    It would mean so much to me if you could visit my blog, www.thatgirlybookworm.blogspot.ca

    The theme focuses on books and the title according to the letter of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely visit your post as well. You should give the Haddix series a try! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. As for classical dystopians, nothing beats A Brave New World and 1984. Another amazing dystopian is Blind Faith by Ben Elton. As for the more recent ones, I loved The Hunger Games! And many many many others! I just love dystopians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to read A Brave New World, but had trouble getting into it. But 1984 is one of my favorites! Guess I was kind of going with a series theme for this post. Haven't heard of Blind Faith, I'll have to look it up! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I love dystopian fiction! I probably can't help it - I was named after JUlia in 1984. I loved The Giver when I read it in 5th grade and can't wait for the movie! The Hunger Games was phenomenal and I'm reading Insurgent now - so far not as good as The Hunger Games, but still good. I have the Matched series and will probably be reading it soon.

    Have you ever read There Will Come Soft Rains? I guess it's not really a dystopian, but it's still amazing. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzbtlcAsIeTnTlNmSnhOV010bHM/edit?pli=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! I have not heard of that book, will look and see about it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Hi Lisa, thanks for your visit. I love dystopian books, though sometimes I owner why people's ideas for the future are so depressing:-) have you tried Margaret Atwood?
    martine@silencingthebell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just recently heard about Margaret Atwood, and so need to give her books a try. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love to get comments and I read them all! If you leave a link in your comment, I just might visit you back.