Friday, April 18, 2014

A to Z April - P: Paranormal


One type of story that has really taken off in the past decade it seems is paranormal. Especially for teens it seems. And it has always been one of my favorites.  For my post I'm considering books about ghosts, vampires, werewolves, angels, etc. to be considered paranormal.  I'll share 5 of my favorite paranormal books below.

1.

Make fun of me all you want, but I will always love the Twilight series.  And honestly, yes, it has vampires, but I really feel it is more of a romance story than a traditional vampire story.  Which for all those who make fun of vampire sparkling, need to really kind of get over it.  As far as we know, vampires aren't real, so who knows what they would really be like.  The author can make them however they want for their stories, and all authors do change them in some way.

2.

This is a book I'd seen on the shelves at the bookstore where I work, but just never got around to reading it until I got a good deal on the first two books at a Scholastic Book Warehouse sale.  Then, I really loved how detailed and creative the ghost story was.  You can read my review of it HERE.

3.

This is a really great ghost series that I found as e-books I believe.  There are 4 books I think in the series. But it is again really good characters, the ghosts are done well.  I've asked the author if she'll ever do any more with the series, and I don't thinks she plans on it.  But the characters and storyline has really stayed with me after reading them.  You can read my reviews of the first two books in this series HERE.

4.

I am a huge Maggie Stiefvater fan, as you know if you've been following my blog for very long.  And I could have shared her werewolves series, but this is a series that I find so creative and different, that I decided to share this one as well.  It includes ghosts, in face one of the main characters is a ghost.  And there are all other sorts of paranormal details.  You can read my review of this HERE.

5.

And this is a story about angels.  But an incredible story, so original, and so different.  I can't even think of any other stories to say it reminds me of them, because of how original it is.  Although, there are some bits that make me think of the Supernatural tv show.  I've got the 2nd book in the series on my TBR shelf, needs to be read soon, because the third books comes out this month!  You can read my review of this book HERE.

So, wow, I could go on forever and ever with all the paranormal books I love. These are all YA books, but I'm not a teen, I'm in my 40's, and I enjoyed them all.  Probably the ones that would be considered younger out of these are #2, and maybe, just a little bit, #3.  The rest would all be very in depth and great reads for any adult who loves paranormal titles.

Are you a fan of paranormal stories?  What are your favorites?  Do you consider what I've listed as paranormal or not?

17 comments:

  1. I loved Twilight, but think it could have been tweaked to be a single, lol. Just added Past Midnight and Bad Girls Don't Die to my tbr list (Daughter of Smoke & Bone is already on it ) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I never thought of it being just a single book, but I could maybe see that. In fact, it could probably have ended before the last book. But I love the whole series. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. It's good to find you here on A-Z, Lisa.
    I am more of a ghost and angel person, hoping to include a subtle ghost in my next novel, but who knows where it may lead.
    I'll have to try Smoke Bone.
    Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of ghost stories, although with adult books, I often feel ghost stories are more horror than paranormal. I don't know if that makes any sense though. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm more science fiction than paranormal, but then I've been a scientist for most of my life. Sue Ann Bowling
    Homecoming Blog
    Stormy's Sidekick
    Blogging from A to Z April Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love science fiction. BUT, as a former science teacher, if something was so wrong in scientific parts, I couldn't stand to read it. But paranormal is fun to me because it doesn't have to follow the rules of science, because it is all made up. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I don't mind paranormal stories, but they aren't what I reach for right away. I love mysteries and historical novels.

    Hope you'll visit http://www.thebusymomsdaily.com/2014/04/blogging-from-to-z-april-challenge-p.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm into historical and mysteries too, just paranormal edges to those stories always get me even more excited. Thanks for stopping by and I'll be sure to visit your post as well!

      Delete
  5. I love paranormal reads. I've only read the Twilight ones and they were just okay for me but I'd been reading adult para for years and it was a little too simple for me. But I know so many who just adored them. Good they got people reading and excited about it :)

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is definitely a difference between Twilight and probably the paranormal you'd been reading. But there are YA paranormals that I find so much better than some adult ones. Maybe you'll get a chance to try some of them. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes. I have a few YA paras I really enjoy as well. Rachel Caine's Morganville Vamps is one of them. That woman can suck me into a book like you wouldn't believe!

      Delete
  6. I also I'm a big lover of paranormal books and urban fantasy. since both usually have a lot mixed up with each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely true. I love seeing how big this genre has become, although sometimes I think some publishers are just trying to catch on and don't do the best job with the books they choose.

      Delete
  7. I respect your opinion, but I have to say that after reading Wrath and Rhage and Vishous, sparkly vampires just cannot measure up. Black Dagger Brotherhood, by J. R. Ward. Check them out. ;) Definitely not YA friendly though....

    Maggie Stiefvater is great! I've only read one of her books, Lament, but it was so excellent I'm dying to try more of her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the sparkly vampires aren't really what the story is about, it is a romance. And I don't always like the other types of vampires, at least not to be romantic. I read things other than YA, but have a lot of problem these days with a lot of adult books because of how wordy and way over detailed sometimes. I have a friend that likes the J.R. Ward books. Don't know that they are ones I'd ever get to though.

      Yeah, I love Stiefvater, she's great! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I absolutely agree about Twilight being more of a romance! I'm not one for paranormal, but I loved Twilight because of the love story in it. Unearthly is an Angel paranormal story a friend of mine said I might like though I have not gotten around to reading it. You may have already read it, but I thought I'd mention it in case you hadn't. New follower here! I'm glad you found me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unearthly is a very good series, hope you get a chance to start it. I have read the first two books in the series, need to finish it soon! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love to get comments and I read them all! If you leave a link in your comment, I just might visit you back.