Saturday, April 12, 2014

A to Z April - K: Keeping


Today will be a pretty short and simple post.  K is for Keeping, in other words, do you keep your books?  I've always been the kind that wants to keep all of my books.  My dream house would have a room that was wall to wall, floor to ceiling bookshelves.  And I don't think I'd have any problem filling them.  I already have 5 bookshelves filled, and I don't mean just a single row of books like you'd see in a bookstore or library.  Some of the shelves have two or three rows with rows on top of the rows.  Obviously I don't have enough book shelves, or maybe I should not keep so many?  I'm getting to where I realize if it's not a book I know I may want to read again for sure some day, or by an author that I collect, I may get rid of it.  Mostly through YA Book Exchange, or giveaways, or even donating it to the high school library where I work.

One day, when I get that room in order, I intend to film a tour of my bookshelves.  But, I'm not quite to that point.  In fact today I'm putting together a  new bookshelf, one that I plan to put all my autographed books on.

Another thing about keeping.  I have to organize them.  I do kind of a nonfiction section, and then a fiction section. At one point I had the teen/kids books separated out.  I decided to just put all the fiction together. Although most of my children's books are still all boxed up in my basement for now.  And my nonfiction section is grouped by type of book, biographies, science, etc.  My fiction books are pretty much alphabetical by author.  Although I do have my Buffy the Vampire Slayer series books all on one shelf together even though they are by many different authors.

That's it, that's my K post.  Do you keep your books?  If so, do you arrange them like I do, or just stack them on the shelves?

If you have time, I'd love for you to visit my J Post and help me come up with some questions for an author panel I'll be leading in May.

22 comments:

  1. I used to keep my books but I am at the point where I have thousands of them and really have little space anymore. I always keep the autographed ones, or the ones that really made an impact on me, otherwise I donate them to a local charity group, often the nursing home in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's where I'm at. I mean I have probably 400 books that are on my TBR shelf. So yeah, I'm starting to learn to get rid of ones I won't read again.

      Delete
  2. I keep my books. They're organized by genre, somewhat, but all books by one author are usually together. Usually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep books that really move me. Those that I don't love get passed on to friends or donated. If I didn't i would have thousands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to not keep all my books. But it is so hard to get rid of books that I liked. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. First - wow! - you have a lot of followers. Yeah, if money and space weren't an issue, I'd live in a mansion with 13-ft ceilings all covered by dark wood bookshelves and thousands of books. But as things are, I appreciate my little tablet. :)
    (New follower)
    Lexa Cain’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, you are just like me, I'm waiting for that house with the huge library. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  5. I'm so a book keeper. lol I just can't let them go once they land here. Some I re-read. Some I just like to keep for the comfort of knowing they're...there and I can pick them up if I want :) I've made them a feature of the house though so it works. I have two rooms with one solid wall of books floor to ceiling wall to wall. And adding another set into another room. I just love looking at them :)

    Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you, I just like to have them, it makes me happy to see them on my shelves, even when I know I may never have time to read them again. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I keep only my favorites. If I'm not actively planning to read it again, I donate the book so I have more space for new books. It is hard to part with them though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get better about that, but it is so hard! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. I pretty much do keep my books. I have some books I "got rid of" ... sitting beneath my car seat. ;) Still haven't managed to get rid of them for good. even though one of them I actually hated and gave 1 star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple shopping bags of books I need to get rid of. But the longer they sit in my house, the more one or two at a time seem to come back out and on my shelves. :-)

      Delete
  8. Loved this. What about E books? Do you refuse to read them on principle or do you have overflowing e=readers? Amd how do you feel about them anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read e-books, just mostly they are e-galleys so they are free. I have an e-reader that is slowly getting overflowing. :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I only keep ones that are signed, or I think I might reread, or ones that really spoke to me. Or if they are part of a series, because I sometimes have to reread to remember what happened. Other than that I try to pass on to friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to do that more. Realizing that I can't keep everything. It is so hard though, I'm such a book addict!

      Delete
  10. We have books everywhere. I try and give them to our libraries that have a sale section. I tried the paperbackswap site, but after packing up books for everyone else, I could never find the ones I was looking for in return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's my problem with the trade in book stores, the books I want are never very good priced, and they don't give very good money for the books I trade in.

      Delete

I love to get comments and I read them all! If you leave a link in your comment, I just might visit you back.