Thursday, May 4, 2017

Review: Textrovert by Lindsey Summers

Book info:
TitleTextrovert
Author:  Lindsey Summers
Genre:  YA  Contemporary romance
Release Date:  May 2nd, 2017
Publisher:  KCP Loft
Source:  ARC from publisher for honest review
My rating:  5 stars

Summary:
Can you fall in ♥ with someone you’ve never met?

Summer is nearly over and Keeley is about to start her senior year when disaster strikes: she picks up the wrong cell phone by mistake. 😞 Just her luck that it belongs to Talon, a totally arrogant jock 🏈 who’s just left for football camp—with herphone. Keeley doesn’t know him, but they’ll need to rely on each other to forward their messages for an entire week.

Talon is so full of himself, but Keeley quickly discovers he’s funny, too—at least his texts are. 😅 And he listens to Keeley—which is more than anyone else does. Texting Talon, she can be more than just the quiet twin sister of a popular boy. Texting Talon, she can be the outgoing person she’s always wanted to be. Soon the two are falling for each other, hard.

But when true identities are revealed and secrets are exposed, will Keeley’s feelings stay the same?
 


My Review:
Once again I am proven wrong that I don't like YA contemporary stories. Because this one, I loved it!  Probably part of it could be that there is a lot of the story that is told through texts, and I always have liked when stories are partly or mostly told differently than just the words on the page.  In the past it has been through emails, letters, notes, diary entries, etc.  It only makes sense to have one told through texting these days.  Now that's not in any way the whole story, most of it is still told with regular words on the page.  

I think one thing that I really liked about the story is how it shows that it is so easy to be a different person when you're not talking to someone in person.  I know that online, where I have time to think about what I'm going to post for a status update or a tweet, I find myself often posting the humorous thoughts I have that usually I think of after a conversation in person is over.  Or else maybe I'm too embarrassed or unsure about how a person might take a sarcastic comment that pops into my head immediately.  And that is how Keeley is with Talon through their initial texting relationship.  Once they meet in person though, Talon wonders why Keeley seems different.  And it's the same with Talon kind of at first in person as well.  

I had a bit of a guess about who Talon would end up really being.  And I also had a bit of an idea on what was the reason between her brother and him ending up having an issue.  Also Keeley's best friend was being a bit rude to her, and when that all came to a head, I was just as annoyed as Keeley when her friend tried to act like Keeley was the problem, when really she wasn't doing anything different than she'd just had done to her.  

This was a very cute, very fun read.  I guess the author is on Wattpad, and you can check that out HERE.   When I was looking at the new teen books at the bookstore where I work, I saw we didn't have any copies of this in.  So I ordered some to put as one of my staff recommendations this month.  I really did love it, especially with all the things that I identified with Keeley about.  And I loved the smart-ass, cocky Talon as well.