Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Can't Wait Wednesday #17: Dare Mighty Things by Heather Kaczynski

Can't-Wait Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings to spotlight and talk about the books we're excited about that we have yet to read. Generally they're books that have yet to be released. It's based on Waiting on Wednesday, hosted by the fabulous Jill at Breaking the Spine. My book this week is going to be part one of a duology, at least at this point that is what the plan says.  It's a YA science fiction type of story, and I like it because once in awhile I think I might like to be one of the people who gets to go on a spaceship to be a first person settling another planet, or even just traveling on the spaceship to explore the universe.  Here is the blurb from Goodreads:


THE RULES ARE SIMPLE: You must be gifted. You must be younger than twenty-five. You must be willing to accept the dangers that you will face if you win.

Seventeen-year-old Cassandra Gupta’s entire life has been leading up to this—the opportunity to travel to space. But to secure a spot on this classified mission, she must first compete against the best and brightest people on the planet. People who are as determined as she to win a place on a journey to the farthest reaches of the universe. 

Cassie is ready for the toll that the competition will take; the rigorous mental and physical tests designed to push her to the brink of her endurance. But nothing could have prepared her for the bonds she would form with the very people she hopes to beat. Or that with each passing day it would be more and more difficult to ignore the feeling that the true objective of the mission is being kept from her.

As the days until the launch tick down and the stakes rise higher than ever before, only one thing is clear to Cassie: she’ll never back down . . . even if it costs her everything.


So, what do you think?  Does it sound like a good one to you?  Almost like a Survivor competition in order to get to be one of the pioneers of space.  What book are you eagerly awaiting this week? 

26 comments:

  1. Catchy cover. Sounds pretty interesting and I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Honestly, this book does sounds pretty interesting to me, but I just cannot stand the cover, it looks like ugly clip art =/ I hope they change it. Otherwise, hopefully we both enjoy this book :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I really liked the cover. I guess I can kind of see what you're saying about the lettering. But hopefully it will still be a good story. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. This sounds really interesting and I'm totally intrigued by what the mission actually is and what it will lead to. Great pick!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING pick, Lisa!! The title and cover are SO dynamic!! And the plot is AMAZING, too!! You're right -- it does sound like some sort of "Survivor" show. It also reminds me a little of "The Hunger Games". But the stakes are different here. And the added element of the emotional ties among the competitors makes this all that more interesting!

    Thanks for adding to my Goodreads shelves!! Thanks as well for commenting on my own CWW post!! <3 <3 :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely has a Hunger Games aspect. Thanks for returning the comment this week!

      Delete
  5. This is a newbie pick (both the book and author) to me, but it sounds really interesting! Gotta' love learning about new books. Thanks for the introduction, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOpe we all get to read it and enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. This sounds great to me! I love science fiction. Also the cover reminds me of the cover of Invictus by Ryan Graudin, which is so gorgeous. I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a lovely week, Lisa. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the sounds of some science fiction, like this one. Yeah, now that I've seen Invictus on another blog, I'd agree with you! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. This sounds right up my alley! *grabby hands* =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound good. and I LOVE the idea that there may be more to the mission than people are letting on... always like that stuff! Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That just makes it even more intriguing, and probably a very well developed story, hopefully. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I keep seeing this one. It sounds really interesting and heart pumping too.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it sure does! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. This sounds like exactly the type of book i'd be eagerly awaiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hope you add it to your TBR. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. I swear, that cover reminds me of the opening sequence of an 80s scifi show -- Quantum leap maybe? But either way, great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that sounds like it could be the right show. Perhaps that is why I liked it so much! I am an 80s girl! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Yes! I just heard about this one last week and I'm already obsessed with it.
    Why must the pub date be so far way :(
    Great choice this week.
    Here is my WOW 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It does seem pretty popular. I think I may have seen it available for request on Edelweiss this week though! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. That's a great pick, Lisa! I'm not usually intrigued by space stories, but I like the whole competitive aspect of the storyline. Okay, I'm adding it to my Library TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never am quite sure about space stories, but that one sounds good! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love to get comments and I read them all! If you leave a link in your comment, I just might visit you back.