Saturday, August 10, 2013

A to Z Bookish Survey


I was needing something to post, and saw this idea on Eveline's Books, originally from The Perpetual Pageturner.  If you think it is fun, join in!  Hope you enjoy learning more about me from my answers.


  • Author you've read the most books by:  According to Goodreads it is Carolyn Keene, the author of the Nancy Drew books.  Makes sense since I've pretty much read all of them.  Although, I'm thinking about my bookshelves, and I feel like my shelf of VC Andrews books is pretty full, so Goodreads didn't list her books at the top though.
  • Best sequel ever:  That's hard.  I think I'm going to go with Because it is My Blood by Gabrielle Zevin.  I loved the books and the 2nd one was awesome too!
  • Currently Reading:  Unremembered by Jessica Brody. It's one of the books I got in the Fierce Reads giveaway box.  Not sure if I'm going to be able to do the big party like I wanted and talked about when I first got this.  At least not at my high school.  Guess being a college prep means maybe the kids don't read for fun as much according to my co-librarian and some of the teachers at the school.  So I may do a big giveaway with it in October on my blog for my birthday.
  • Drink of choice while reading:  Depends where I am and what time of the year it is.  At home in the summer it is usually Crystal Light or Dr. Pepper.  At home in the winter it is usually hot tea or hot chocolate.  And when I'm eating, it would be water.
  • E-reader or physical book?  I've answered this before.  I love my actual, physical books.  I only bought an e-reader to use it for the e-galleys I could get from Netgalley and Edelweiss.  But as my bookshelves keep getting fuller, I am beginning to see more value in e-books.  But still not enough to spend over $5 on them.  
  • Fictional character you probably would have actually dated in high school:  Well, as I really only had like 1, maybe 2 dates in high school, there really isn't anyone I could pick!  But who is the nerdiest, best friend guy, that you could never really like?  Can't think of anyone like that in any books I've read.
  • Glad you gave this book a chance:  I'm going to pick a pretty recent one, The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa.  I'm never quite sure about vampire books, I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Twilight, and the Anne Rice books to name a few.  But I'm always leery of new vampire series.  But I'm so glad I picked this one up.  I loved it, and was introduced to an awesome author, as shortly after I began reading an earlier series of hers, the Iron Fey series, and while I'm not always drawn to books about fairies, I really got sucked right into that one as well!
  • Hidden gem book:  One that I loved, and I know others have loved, but I don't seem to hear as much about it as I think there should be, is Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz.
  • Important moment in your reading life:  This one is hard.  I can think of several.  There was the MASL conference two years ago when I got to meet Heather Brewer and Jay Asher.  And then there was my very first trip to NYC 2 years ago when I got to meet Cara Lynn Shultz.  And finally, probably summer a year ago when I got to go to BEA.
  • Just finished:  The Dark Between by Sonia Gensler.  See my review HERE.
  • Kinds of books you won't read:  Well, first off, I'm not a fan of Manga or graphic novels.  Don't know why, just never have been.  I like to just read words and make the pictures in my head I think.
  • Longest book you've read:  I think the longest I've read is The Stand by Stephen King at 1,153 pages.
  • Major book hangover because of:  Probably would have to say either Breaking Dawn or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  The ends to two of my favorite worlds.  I didn't want to leave them.
  • Number of bookcases you own:  Let's see, I have 5 tall white bookcases with 5 shelves each.  Then I have a shorter 3 shelf bookcase, and short and skinny 3 shelf bookcase, and finally a really tall, really skinny 6 shelf bookcase.
  • One book you have read multiple times:  This is something I used to do a lot, before I had all the TBR piles I have now.  My Stephen King books, V.C. Andrews' Flowers in the Attic series and Heaven series.  I re-read all the Harry Potter books before I would go see the movies.  As well as the Twilight books.  And then I've read The Lightning Thief, and The Hunger Games several times as I used to teach them in my class.
  • Preferred place to read:  Really I can read anywhere.  But I prefer to read on my couch, in my spot on the couch, in my living room.
  • Quote that inspires you/gives you all the feels from a book you've read:  This is hard.  I don't always remember exact quotes from books.  So, hmm.  Let's see, let me think.  Okay, I'm going to pick two from Twilight, they're not inspirational, just ones that made me smile, and I remember the books fondly when I hear them.  "Stupid, shiny Volvo owner."  "Sure, sure."
  • Reading regret:  Hmm, this one is hard.  Not sure I have a lot of regrets.  I'm going to say none.  Although I wish maybe I'd been a kid when Harry Potter came out, I'm just as glad to have read it at the age I did.  Maybe a regret could be that I wished I'd thought about being a librarian when I first got to college instead of being a science teacher.
  • Series you started and need to finish (all books are out in the series):  Probably the Sookie Stackhouse series, but I only have two more.
  • Three of your all time favorite books:  Remember it is hard for a book lover to pick just one, or three, but here are the 3 that come to my mind first:  Twilight (of course), It by Stephen King, Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews.
  • Unapologetic fangirl for:  I'll say it over and over, the Twilight series.  I actually have a tattoo of the original cover of the first book on my shoulder.
  • Very excited for this release more than all the others:  At the moment it is Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater.   After that it will be Allegiant by Veronica Roth.
  • Worst bookish habit:  Hmm, something I used to always do, and now only occasionally do with my paperbacks is fold the cover over to mark the page.  If you look at any of my books from the days before I had so many books, you will see that I probably folded every page in the book at one time since I read them over and over.
  • X marks the spot:  Start at the top left of your shelf and pick the 27th book:  The Christopher Killer by Alane Ferguson.
  • Your latest book purchase:  I think it was The Douche Journals from the TV show The New Girl.
  • ZZZ-snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY late):  Untold (The Lynburn Legacy #2) by Sarah Rees Brennan.  Loved it!  Just like the first book in the series.
So, feel free to comment what you think about any of my letters.  And then go post it on your own blog!