Thursday, December 10, 2015

Review: Onyx (Lux Series #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

So this book has only solidified my need to read anything and everything that JLA writes.  In fact I'm pretty much ordering each one every couple weeks from the bookstore where I work.  I am going to need to own all her books.  If I ever have time to re-read, I'm pretty sure these will be the books I want.  First I have to share each of my Goodreads updates as I read.


The main character is just so true to being a blogger, as you can see from my 2nd update. And then there is so much about her that is like me.  Like the coat quote above!  If you haven't read the first book, Obsidian, you probably should stop reading here, as there will be some spoilers for the first book in my review probably.

In book 2 Daemon and Katy still have their connection from when he had to heal her.  And it is a kind of glow that his kind and the enemy, the Arum, can see.  But soon it's clear that Katy has some residual powers from the big battle at the end of the first book.  And she can't seem to control them.  That's when she finds out from the new boy in town, Blake, that she isn't the only human to have developed powers after being healed by the aliens like Daemon.  And so Blake says he will help her to get control and learn to use these powers.  But his training seems dangerous, and Daemon at first refuses to leave her alone with Blake.  And when it gets really dangerous, Daemon tells Katy she needs to stop, but she refuses.  Soon they find out it isn't just the Arum that are after them, the government is also after humans like Katy.  Turns out that what happened to Daemon's brother and human girlfriend may not be exactly as they thought.  Things get even more dangerous, and we learn that there is another type of stone, onyx as the title suggests, that has power over the aliens. 

Daemon and Katy must continue to work on their feelings.  Katy is sure that the only reason Daemon seems so interested in her now is because of the connection from the healing.  No matter how much Daemon tries to tell her it isn't.  It will be this connection, and these feelings, real as they may or may not be, will lead to someone close to the family dying, and Katy risking her life to try to keep Daemon safe in the only way she knows how.  There will be betrayal by people that you don't expect, and betrayal by some that you do.  There will be someone who was kind of an enemy, or at least didn't like Katy in the first book who now may be more of a friend.

The ending will leave you so ready for the next book.  Thank goodness I've already bought it!  Now to figure out when I can fit it into my reading!  Another great story by Jennifer L. Armentrout, with sexy guys, Daemon, and such knowledge of the life of a blogger.