Saturday, November 21, 2015

Review: End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days #3) by Susan Ee (Series Ender Challenge #4)

This is a series that I really have loved, and the ending was to me, the perfect way to end the trilogy.  I was first introduced to the series when I attended my first BEA back in 2012 and I got a copy of the first book, Angelfall.  I won a copy of the 2nd book about 2 years ago, but silly me, I didn't get around to reading World After until this past year.  I've started keeping a book up in my bedroom to read in case I don't want to mess with bringing my Nook upstairs, or whatever book I'm reading at the time.  Plus paperbacks are good to read when I'm taking a bubble bath.  As with the other books in this series, I feel like once I picked this up, I was sucked right back into the story.  For the most part it kind of updated me on everything that had happened before, but without any info dumps or other going back in flashbacks, etc.  Now, if you haven't read the first two, you should go click on the link above of the one you are ready to read and read that review. Because I can't promise there won't be any spoilers for those books in my review of this final book.

This book picks up basically right where we left off in the 2nd book.  Penryn is with Raffe.  He has recovered his angel wings, and needs to find someone to reattach them and take off the demon wings he has because of Beliel.  Beliel has been captured and he tries to tell Penryn that Raffe isn't quite the good guy she seems to think he is.  And so Beliel shows Penryn a memory having her touch him, where he pulls her into the underworld.  She sees him without eyes, and sees him being tortured by the demons who are there.  But when she steps back, a hellion comes out of the memory with her.

Her sister Paige is kind of the leader of the locust creatures that Uriel had created to start a plague among the humans and begin the apocalypse.  But there is one of them out there, they call him white streak, who wants to take control. And so there will be a fight for Paige to gain control, and be able to try to use them to help the humans.  Penryn must convince the humans in the Resistance to give her sister, and her crazy mother, a chance to help.

Penryn and Raffe decide to go into Beliel's memory and pull out the other Watchers, the ones who will follow Raffe in his campaign against Uriel.  Through this Penryn finds out just what made Beliel as bitter as he is.  Bringing the angels back isn't as helpful though, as they'd hoped.  It turns out that the competition chosen to decide between Raffe and Uriel is a hunt, of humans.  So while Raffe wants Penryn to go and hide until it is over, she will refuse.  She will do what she can to try to save the other humans, convince them this is their last chance to stand against the angels that have destroyed their lives, and maybe, just maybe, win their freedom back.

But all of this will be a problem for the romance or feelings developing between Raffe and Penryn. The ones that he refuses to give in to, following the rules that landed all his Watchers in the underworld before with their love for "daughters of men."  Because if he succeeds and wins over Uriel, then he will be going back to Heaven, and there will be no more contact most likely between the two.  So not only is Penryn fighting for her life, she is doing it all while knowing that in the end she may lose this angel that she loves.

I love the characters, and I love the chemistry between Raffe and Penryn.  I love the Dee and Dum twins.  Really all the ways that things happen are so good, there is no lack of death or sacrifice on the part of both sides, and the end, the end I loved!  I'm so happy that it ended that way.  Another great angel story, with post-apocalyptic bits and also romance, and science fiction with the creatures that have been created.  Also a quick read, and I highly recommend it to everyone!