About THE GIVING WAY TO HAPPINESS:
We often focus on how our gifts can help those in need. But the act of giving actually improves our own lives as well. In The Giving Way to Happiness, Jenny Santi overturns conventional thinking about what it takes to be happy by revealing how giving to others—whether in the form of money, expertise, time, or love—has helped people from all walks of life find purpose and joy. Drawing on the wisdom of great thinkers past and present, as well as cutting-edge scientific research, Santi makes an eloquent and passionate case that oftentimes the answers to the problems that haunt us, and the key to the happiness that eludes us, lie in helping those around us.
This book is filled with inspiring stories told firsthand by Academy Award winner Goldie Hawn, Noble Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus, supermodel Christy Turlington Burns, Teach for America founder Wendy Kopp, philanthropist Richard Rockefeller, environmentalist Philippe Cousteau, activist Ric O’Barry, bestselling author Isabel Allende, ALS survivor Augie Nieto, and many others from all over the world. Despite their diverse backgrounds, they have all found unexpected happiness and fulfillment through giving. This book tells us not just how they changed the world but also how their acts changed their very own lives.
In addition, Santi reveals:
- How altruism involves far more than suppressing basic selfish urges. Rather, we are wired to give, as it activates the same pleasure centers of the brain stimulated by food, sex, and drugs
- How helping others—whether by walking a friend through a struggle that you’ve also experienced or by supporting a cause to honor a loved one’s memory—can be a healthy way to deal with adversity and process grief
- The unexpected reasons why those who “gave it all up” to make a difference, and who face the direst situations, are nevertheless some of the happiest, most fulfilled, and least angst-ridden people you’ll ever meet.
- Practical, universally applicable lessons on what kind of giving makes people happy and what doesn’t. How do you discover giving that is unique to you and makes you feel good?
In this inspiring book, Santi turns conventional wisdom upside down about what it takes to be happy and reveals the surprising reasons that have led so many people to live lives full of meaning, purpose and happiness.
Links: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Goodreads
- Wunderkind PR is going to donate $50.00 to the charity of the winner's choice!
While you're here, I'd like to also bring to your attention Giving Tuesday.
Giving Tuesday is a global initiative that promotes the generosity of people who are giving around the holidays. Directly following BlackFriday and Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday is an event started by the 92 Street Y in New York City, which hoped to connect a diverse and well-rounded network of people, foundations and organizations. On December 1, 2015, we encourage you to use #MyGivingStory to promote the charity/non-profit organization that you're helping to support/spotlight this Holiday Season. You can learn more about Giving Tuesday here: http://www.givingtuesday.org/
There are a few charities that I like to donate to whenever possible. One of them is the American Cancer Society. I lost my maternal grandmother to lung cancer from smoking when I was in middle school. My maternal grandfather quit smoking when she got sick, and never smoked again. Yet when he was 76 years old, lung cancer still took him away from us as well. I lost my paternal grandmother to breast cancer shortly after I was born, so I never got to really know her. Along with that I have donated in the past to the Susan G. Komen Foundation, when they were partnered with my college sorority, Zeta Tau Alpha. Now ZTA is partnering with several Think Pink philanthropies, and one of them is the American Cancer Society.
I'd love to hear about what charities you support, or where you like to donate your time or money to help others.