Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday - The Strange Maid (The United States of Asgard #2) by Tessa Gratton


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where we spotlight upcoming releases that we're eagerly awaiting.  The book I've chosen this week I didn't think I'd chosen yet, I hope not, so if I did, then here is a reminder about how much I'm waiting for it!  It is the sequel to The Lost Sun, a book that I really liked how it portrayed the United States if history had been a bit different in who found and started it (and if the Norse gods really existed).  And I think I just got an e-galley of this from Edelweiss!  Let me warn you that once again, I'm not a big fan of the cover.  Here is the blurb from Goodreads.com:

Fans of Neil Gaiman, Holly Black, and Maggie Stiefvater will embrace the richly drawn, Norse-influenced alternate world of the United States of Asgard, where cell phones, rock bands, and evangelical preachers coexist with dragon slaying, rune casting, and sword training in schools. Where the president runs the country alongside a council of Valkyries, gods walk the red carpet with Hollywood starlets, and the U.S. military has a special battalion dedicated to eradicating Rocky Mountain trolls.
Signy Valborn was seven years old when she climbed the New World Tree and met Odin Alfather, who declared that if she could solve a single riddle, he would make her one of his Valkyrie. For ten years Signy has trained in the arts of war, politics, and leadership, never dreaming that a Greater Mountain Troll might hold the answer to the riddle, but that’s exactly what Ned the Spiritless promises her. A mysterious troll hunter who talks in riddles and ancient poetry, Ned is a hard man to trust. Unfortunately, Signy is running out of time. Accompanied by an outcast berserker named Soren Bearstar, she and Ned take off across the ice sheets of Canadia to hunt the mother of trolls and claim Signy’s destiny.

I'm such a huge fan of this author, I even got to host her during the Authors are Rock Stars Blog Hop last year.  You can go read my interview with her HERE.  So what book are you eagerly awaiting this week?