Monday, February 24, 2014

Review (Sort of): The Secret Diamond Sisters by Michelle Madow

First of all, thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for allowing me to read an e-galley of this title.  I loved the Transcend Time series by this author, and I got to meet her when I attended BEA two years ago.  So, even though I knew this wasn't really my normal type of book, I knew I liked her writing, so I requested it.  Unfortunately, it really isn't my type of book.  I'm not saying in any way, shape, or form that it isn't good, because it is a very good book for the type of book it is.  I think that anyone who enjoys books like Gossip Girl, or The Clique, or Pretty Little Liars series, will definitely enjoy it.  Another bit of proof about how good of a writer Michelle Madow is, this book is told from I believe four points of view.  The three sisters, and then one other girl that lives where the girls are moving to.  And I could tell which person I was reading their point of view very easily, and a lot of times with other books like this I have to go back and check the beginning of that section to remind myself who is narrating.

While I am not going to finish reading it, it is a book that I will definitely be buying and promoting in my high school library.  I am sure that many of my students will love the book.  I highly recommend it to any fans of the series that I mentioned at the beginning.  I personally just am not much of a contemporary type of story person.  I prefer some supernatural element, or dystopian, or something.  I congratulate the author on being a Harlequin Teen author, as I have followed her on Twitter and Facebook for a long time and think she definitely is an up and coming name in teen books.  Oh yeah, how awesome is the cover of this one!  I think it will be picked up by many readers just based on that alone!