Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Ten New Adult/Romance Free/Cheap E-book Mini-Reviews

I was going to try to do one of these posts last week, but again, things got busy!  So I postponed it till this week, and was able to have 10 different ones to share. Ten seems like a nice round number to do in one post.  Again, I have a couple that are part of series.  As always, you'll get the synopsis from Goodreads, and then a short review from me!

Rebel (Dead Man's Ink #1) by Callie Hart:
Sophia

Sometimes, you don't mean to become another person. Sometimes the choice is made for you, and pretending is the only thing that keeps you going. When Alexis Romera is taken and her kidnappers find her fake ID in her purse, she must become Sophia in order to keep her family safe. Revealing her real identity to the man she's sold to would be easy enough, but can she trust him? Hell bent on revenging the murder of his uncle, Rebel doesn't seem all that interested in playing things safe.

In fact, nothing about the secretive, dark and brooding MC president seems safe at all.

Rebel

What do you do when the man who raised you is murdered, and the only witness is kidnapped girl who's being sold as a sex slave? You buy her, of course. As president to the most powerful motorcycle club in America, Rebel isn't lacking in power. There are strings the man can pull, and entire criminal organisations and corporate businesses alike would fall to their knees. However, along with such power comes intense interest. The DEA have their eye fixed solely on the MC...and they're just waiting for Rebel to trip up.

Getting Sophia to testify is the only way to bring the Los Oscuros cartel down. The beautiful, dark haired, dark eyed woman is belligerent and uncooperative and unlikely to bend to his will, but Rebel has a few tricks up his sleeve to make her compliant--he'll charm her until she's bending over backwards to please him.

Of course, falling for her might cause a few hiccups along the way...


This was a very quick read.  It had a cliffhanger unfortunately.  But it was a story that I wanted to speed through as I was reading it.  The kidnapping was crazy, what Sophia went through was really intense and dark.  And then the way things went when she was "saved" by Rebel's gang, those were definitely intriguing as well.  I'm still not sure I'm a big fan of the motorcycle club books.  I don't mind a sexy guy on a motorcycle, just not sure I like the way the MCs work.  I never watched Sons of Anarchy, probably won't ever.  But this was free, so I tried it, and it wasn't bad!  Definitely worth the price.  :-)

Deep Blue (Blue #1) by Jules Bernard:
In the Blue Series, a summer in Lake Tahoe is anything but carefree when recent college grads discover that finding real love means looking beneath the surface.

When Cali Morgan kicks off her perfect post-college summer in Lake Tahoe, she has everything she ever wanted: acceptance into a top law program, a gorgeous boyfriend, and an incredible summer planned with her best friend.

Confident about her place in the world, Cali makes it her mission to be her friend’s wingwoman and help her meet guys. What Cali doesn’t count on is running into Jaeger Lang, one of her older brother’s high school friends, or the sparks that fly when she’s around him.

Jaeger has changed, and it’s not just the added height and muscle. There’s something about him that’s deep and a little scarred. In spite of the changes, Jaeger becomes a top pick for her friend—if Cali can keep her hands off him.

But when Cali’s boyfriend dumps her and her carefully laid plans begin to unravel, she finds herself questioning what it is she truly desires. In the midst of doubts about her future, one thing is very clear: she wants Jaeger for her own. The question is, has her friend already fallen for him?


This isn't a real memorable story.  It wasn't bad, but I am having a little trouble remembering much about it.  I may need to start writing these reviews right after I read some of these, and just saving the post till I decide I'm ready to post it.  I do remember how it ended, the bit about his ex-girlfriend coming back and trying to mess things up.  And in the end Cali figures things out, but there is a part where she kind of jumps ahead that I think is wrong, but also a part where Jaeger is a little bit off in how he handles it.  Again, a quick easy read.

English series  by Ilsa Madden-Mills:
This is a two book "series", so a duology?  I love these British twin brothers.  I want my own!

Dirty English (English #1):
A scarred fighter.
A girl with rules.
One night of unbridled passion.


There are three things you need to know about Elizabeth Bennett: she’s smart as a whip, always in control, and lives by a set of carefully crafted rules. She’s learned the hard way that people you love the most always hurt you in the end.

But then she meets Declan Blay, the new neighbor at her apartment complex.

A tattooed British street fighter, he’s the campus bad boy she’s supposed to avoid, but when he saves her from a frat party gone bad, all her rules about sex and love fly out the window.

She gives him one night of unbridled passion, but he longs for more.

With only a cardboard-thin wall separating their bedrooms, he dreams of possessing the vulnerable girl next door forever.

One night. Two damaged hearts. The passion of a lifetime.

*A modern love story inspired by Pride and Prejudice*


The story was great, and I like that the author made sure that the fact the main female character's name was Elizabeth Bennett was clear to everyone what a remarkable name it was, and didn't just play it off as nothing big.  I don't even know what to say except for I loved it.  I had trouble stopping reading whenever I had to, and was very excited to read the sequel!

Filthy English (English #2):
A smokin’ hot British player…
A jilted girl…
One night of mistaken identity…


Two weeks before her wedding, Remi Montague’s fiancé drops her faster than a drunken sorority girl in stilettos. Armed with her best friend and a bottle of tequila, she hops a plane to London to drown her sorrows before fall semester begins at Whitman University.

She didn't plan on attending a masquerade party. She sure didn’t plan on waking up next to the British bad boy who broke her heart three years ago—the devastatingly handsome and naked Dax Blay. Furthermore, she has no clue how they acquired matching tattoos.

Once back at Whitman together, they endeavor to pretend they never had their night of unbridled passion in London.

But that’s damn hard to do when you live in the same house…

One night. Two damaged hearts. The passion of a lifetime.


*A modern love story inspired by Romeo and Juliet*
**no one dies in the writing of this novel**


This one I really liked even more because it took place in London, and that was a fun part.  Now, I did want to slap Dax at one point.  But Dax, he is so funny.  I mean this quote says it all:  "You can call me Dax, or Sex Lord, or Daddy, whatever floats your boat."  While he seems much more fun-loving than Declan was at first, he does some really irritating things when he feels like he's lost Remi.  But still, I did love him as much as Declan.  Although Declan might be my favorite, I'd take either one of these two twin brothers, or why choose, give me both!

The Best Laid Plans by Tamara Mataya:
Jayne Griffin isn’t looking for Mr. Right. She’s looking for Mr. RTFN and a toe-curling good time. She’s got the brains, the powerful job as a futures broker, and thanks to a makeover and a thin book of dating advice, the confidence to turn any man’s head.

Malcolm Black notices his high school crush, Jayne, from the stage of her company’s work party. His adolescent feelings for her died beneath months of abuse at the hands of bullies. Abuse that was Jayne’s fault. Though this scorching hot studio musician is unrecognizable as the band geek he used to be, the hurt still lives inside him, and he hatches a plan: Seduce Jayne into falling in love with him, and then shatter her heart.

The white-hot chemistry between them is a pleasant surprise. It all goes so smoothly until Feelings start to develop... and that invitation to their ten year high school reunion lands in their inboxes.

Jayne wants the perfect lover. Malcolm wants revenge. But you know what they say about The Best Laid Plans...


Another quick read.  I could see a lot of the things they did to each other as kind of realistic.  I hate that there was the misunderstanding of what happened in high school with the two of them that led to all the drama.  But in a way that was realistic in that it goes to show you that you don't always know who is getting bullied and does something to another person without realizing what they've done will make it worse for them.  A good look at bullying and how it can affect people.  For the most part I liked the way the bullies ended up growing and maturing at the end.  If only all people did that, or really, if only people would realize that before they ever did any bullying.

Manaconda (Hammered #1) by Cari Quinn and Taryn  Elliott:
My name is Hunter Jordan, lead singer of Hammered and no, I didn't name my c*ck Manaconda.

Rolling Stone did.

On the front cover of their damn magazine.

I still haven't lived it down. And now our record label wants to maximize the frenzy.

So, I have a brand new PR person–Kennedy McManus.

And she's making me insane.

I don't know whether to ignore her, yell at her, or push her up against the wall and kiss her smart mouth shut.

I ended up kissing her.

Come on, I mentioned how exasperating she was, right?

That's when it blew up in both our faces.

Now, the tabloids think she's my girlfriend. My record label would rather have me remain the single manwhore of the ages.

Kennedy thinks I'm the manwhore anyway. She wants me for a quick fling and nothing more.

I just want Kennedy.

Man, I'm so screwed.


Okay, as you know, I've become a big fan of Rock Star romances, and this was a fun one, if not as good as some of the others though.  The name is funny, and while it definitely applies to the story, it felt a little weird when I would check into reading this one on Goodreads.  It did have a bit of a cliffhanger, and so there is more to read.  I will have to some day probably go on in the series.  It had some humorous parts, which I enjoyed, and definitely some sexy bits!

Underneath it All (The Walshes #1) by Kate Canterbary:
If I had known I'd have a hot architect balls deep inside of me before the end of the weekend, I'd have made time for a pedicure.

Lauren
It's all the little things—the action plans, the long-kept promises—that started falling apart when my life slipped into controlled chaos.

After I met Matthew Walsh.

I couldn't decide whether I wanted to run screaming or rip his pants off, and most days I wanted a little of both. If I was being honest with myself, it was rip his pants off, ride him like a workhorse, and then run screaming.

Matthew
A rebellious streak ran through Lauren Halsted. It was fierce and unrelentingly beautiful, and woven through too many good girl layers to count, and she wasn't letting anyone tell her what to do.

Unless, of course, she was naked.

She wasn't looking for me and I sure as shit wasn't looking for her, but we found each other anyway and now we were locked in a battle of wills, waiting for the other to blink.

Sometimes the universe conspires to bring people together. Other times, it throws people down a flight of stairs and leaves them in a bruised and bloodied heap.

I liked the main character, Lauren, partly because she was an educator, trying to open her own school.  I think that is a very unique type of character, and I enjoyed reading about how things went for her on that.  I feel like the way she kind of tried to keep the distance between herself and Matthew was something that I have done in the past for my own reasons, sometimes similar.  I like Matthew's family as well.  And I can't wait to read on in this family's series.  

The Agreement (Unrestrained #1) by S.E. Lund:
Journalism graduate student Kate McDermott is a good girl who has done everything she can to please her very powerful and domineering father -- a Justice on New York's Supreme Court with hopes for political office. When she decides to write an article about BDSM in popular culture, she tells herself it's just research and nothing personal for she can't afford to become the target of gossip or scandal. She hopes that the carefully worded agreement she writes up will keep her relationship with the Dominant she will interview strictly professional.

Then 'Master D' - Drake Morgan - walks into the interview and Kate is mortified for not only is he gorgeous, he's the son of her father's best and oldest friend…

Drake Morgan, MD, bass player, philanthropist – Dominant. Known as Master 'D' in Manhattan's BDSM Community, Drake must keep the kinky side of his life secret to protect his very successful career as a neurosurgeon. After a heartbreaking divorce, Drake doesn't do girlfriends, he doesn’t do sleepovers, and he certainly doesn't do breakfast in bed the morning after. He keeps everything in his well-ordered life separate and under his firm control.

Then Kate McDermott crosses his path and screws everything up. Now, nothing is neat and tidy anymore, and no longer under control for Drake is smitten and things are going to get messy…

From Amazon Bestselling Romance author S. E. Lund comes a story of two people who find themselves in each other's arms. The Agreement will stay with you long after you read the final page.


While I'm pretty sure I'm not into a lot of this BDSM, this was an interesting story, and much better than Fifty Shades of Grey for sure.  The things in the story that happen are some that seemed pretty realistic.  When Kate's friend tells her she has to stop seeing Drake because of the contract that she finds, and then even threatens to ruin his career, it was really intense.  This was a situation where you totally agreed with the person telling the other to stay away to save that person.  Then, when Kate has problems with the whole situation, and has to walk away, well that made a lot of sense as well.  I definitely thought the part with Kate's family was different and unique.  One question, I wasn't sure if Drake was a lot older than Kate, or just a little bit.  That bugged me a bit at times.  Other than that, the book had me thinking about it when I wasn't reading, and to me, that is a well-written book.

Consequences series by Aleatha Romig:
All I can say is that this series went in a totally different direction that I expected, even after reading a few reviews as I was reading the first one. The end of the first book definitely threw me for a loop, making me have to go and buy the next one.  Of course when I bought the 2nd one, then I saw that there was a deal on five of the books all together, so I had to buy that as well.  So I paid for book 2 twice, but really saved overall for the five book deal. 

Consequences (Consequences #1):
Every action has consequences.

Waking in an unfamiliar bedroom in a luxurious mansion, Claire Nichols is terrified to discover that a chance encounter led her into the cruel hands of her abductor, Anthony Rawlings. Claire has no understanding of why she's there, but it's been made abundantly clear--she is now his acquisition and every action has consequences.

Learn the rules to survive.

Facing incomprehensible circumstances, Claire must learn to survive her new reality--every aspect of her livelihood depends upon the tall, dark-eyed tycoon who is a true master of deception. Driven by unknown demons, he has no tolerance for imperfection, in any aspect of his life, including his recent acquisition. Anthony may appear to the world as a handsome, benevolent businessman, but in reality Claire knows firsthand that he's a menacing, controlling captor with very strict rules: do as you're told, public failure is not an option, and appearances are of the utmost importance.

Captivate the captor.

To fit together the pieces of the puzzle, Claire must follow his rules. Will her plan work, or will Anthony become enthralled by Claire's beauty, resilience, and determination, changing the game forever? If that happens, will either of them survive the consequences?

Nobody ever did or ever will escape the consequences of his choices.--

This book was totally an example of Stockholm Syndrome.  Although I think she was crazy to not try to escape any of the times when he took her out in public.  We knew that he had picked her to kidnap for a reason, we got that sense. But it took a bit to figure it out, although the flashbacks spread throughout the book definitely helped me figure out it had some kind of revenge motivation.  So many times I can't believe she chose what she did.  And then, at the end, the decision she makes, and where it leads to, as well as what the results are, all I could say was WOW!  I haven't read an ending like that since probably After by Anna Todd. And you know how much I loved that book.  This one is no After, but was still pretty darn good!

Truth (Consequences #2):
Claire survived the consequences.

Through strength and compartmentalization, Claire Nichols captivated her captor. Though Anthony Rawlings thought he taught Claire to behave, his domination became desire, and his obsession morphed into love. Or was it? When her choices pushed Anthony's relentless vendetta too far, Claire barely survived the consequences.

Discover the truth.

Now, armed with new information and more questions than answers, Claire works to uncover the truth behind the dangerous game at play. As she begins anew, she must decide whom she can truly trust, especially with a new set of players on the move.

New set of rules.

With everything to lose and a manipulative game master controlling the board, Claire and Tony duel by a new set of rules. When thrust together once again, can they learn to trust each other to overcome new dangers? Or will this be Tony's second attempt at domination? Can Claire resist the man she'd never before been able to resist? Hatred and love. Deception and truth. Old habits and new beginnings. As this real-life game of chess plays out, past sins will come to light and new secrets will be revealed. With so much riding on each move, the stakes have never been higher.

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered. The trick is to discover them. - Galileo

This book was pretty good, I liked the way Claire had to do what she could to stay away from Tony.  But I could see that there was still going to be something between them, even when she didn't want there to be.  There's one night something happens after Tony finds Claire that you know isn't just a dream for her, but how it turns out to actually take place is not how you think it actually went until Tony talks about it.  While Tony is still kind of the "bad" guy he was in the first book, we learn that maybe there is someone else behind all the really horrible things taking place.  We get an idea of who it might be through flashbacks again.  I can't believe I didn't put two and two together on a certain person in the story until I finally did, there were clues all the way through, and normally I'm kinda good at that.  The end of the book was pretty good, but when I started book 3, all of a sudden there was something weird going on, and as I read book 3, it flashes back and forth between some time after the end of book 2, as well as some events before the end of book 2.  So I'm still confused as I read, but keep going because I need to know what is going on!  Book 3 will be the first book I review next time I do another one of these e-book mini-review posts.