Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: Now I Rise (And I Darken #2) by Kiersten White

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine where we spotlight upcoming releases that we're eagerly awaiting.  This week I'm excited about the sequel to a book that I really was kind of blown away by earlier this year, And I Darken. This just seems like such an original retelling of history, and I love that!  And the cover of the first one was great, but this one is awesome as well!  Here's the blurb from Goodreads: 


Lada Dracul has no allies. No throne. All she has is what she’s always had: herself. After failing to secure the Wallachian throne, Lada is out to punish anyone who dares to cross her blood-strewn path. Filled with a white-hot rage, she storms the countryside with her men, accompanied by her childhood friend Bogdan, terrorizing the land. But brute force isn’t getting Lada what she wants. And thinking of Mehmed brings little comfort to her thorny heart. There’s no time to wonder whether he still thinks about her, even loves her. She left him before he could leave her.

What Lada needs is her younger brother Radu’s subtlety and skill. But Mehmed has sent him to Constantinople—and it’s no diplomatic mission. Mehmed wants control of the city, and Radu has earned an unwanted place as a double-crossing spy behind enemy lines. Radu longs for his sister’s fierce confidence—but for the first time in his life, he rejects her unexpected plea for help. Torn between loyalties to faith, to the Ottomans, and to Mehmed, he knows he owes Lada nothing. If she dies, he could never forgive himself—but if he fails in Constantinople, will Mehmed ever forgive him?

As nations fall around them, the Dracul siblings must decide: what will they sacrifice to fulfill their destinies? Empires will topple, thrones will be won . . . and souls will be lost.


Have you read the first one?  How does this one sound?  What book or books are you eagerly awaiting this week?

18 comments:

  1. I haven't read the first book, though it's been greatly recommended to me! This book also sounds great, and I hope you love it ^_^

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the first one, and can't wait to see what will happen next! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, but I think I'll give this one a try if I have the time. I hope you enjoy it when it comes out. Have a good week
    Check out my WOW 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the first one, but I can see how it might not be everyone's favorite. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! I haven't read the first one, but I'll definitely try to now :) Hope you enjoy it when you get to it! Here's my WoW (film)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the first one, and can't wait to find out where the story will go next. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a pretty interesting book! I'll have to check it out!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this retelling of Dracula as a female. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I still need to read this first one, but I plan too! Yay for a sequel.

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved the first one! And it would be a great feature on your blog, as it has a main character who is a gay male.

      Delete
  6. This cover WINS! Wins everything! Gosh it is so great. Random House has such good covers, and this one is on point. I loved And I Darken, and can't wait to read this one. I hope you enjoy this book when you get a chance to read it!

    Have a fabulous week, Lisa. :)

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the cover so much for the first one as well. I should really email and ask for an ARC of this one to match my ARC of the first one. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I haven't yet read And I darken but I've heard so many good things about it! Moving it up higher on my TBR list so I can read it soon :)

    Uma@Books.Bags.Burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the first one! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. I feel like the sequels to books I intend to read always come out so soon! Which is good, I guess, because it means that when they are all released I can binge read them. Enjoy this when it releases x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, not when I read the advanced copies. I can't wait for this one, hoping for another advanced copy. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I love the cover Lisa! And it sounds like it'll be a busy ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one was, so I imagine this one will be as well!

      Delete

I love to get comments and I read them all! If you leave a link in your comment, I just might visit you back.