Sunday, June 9, 2019

E-galley Review: Storm and Fury (The Harbinger #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Book info:
Title:   Storm and Fury
Author:  Jennifer L. Armentrout
SeriesThe Harbinger #1
Genre:  YA/NA Paranormal Romance
Release Date:  June 11th, 2019
Publisher:  Inkyard Press
Source:  E-galley from Netgalley which did not influence my opinion
My rating:  5 stars

Synopsis:
Eighteen-year-old Trinity Marrow may be going blind, but she can see and communicate with ghosts and spirits. Her unique gift is part of a secret so dangerous that she’s been in hiding for years in an isolated compound fiercely guarded by Wardens—gargoyle shape-shifters who protect humankind from demons. If the demons discover the truth about Trinity, they’ll devour her, flesh and bone, to enhance their own powers.

When Wardens from another clan arrive with disturbing reports that something out there is killing both demons and Wardens, Trinity’s safe world implodes. Not the least because one of the outsiders is the most annoying and fascinating person she’s ever met. Zayne has secrets of his own that will upend her world yet again—but working together becomes imperative once demons breach the compound and Trinity’s secret comes to light. To save her family and maybe the world, she’ll have to put her trust in Zayne. But all bets are off as a supernatural war is unleashed…



My Review:
Well, I think Roth was my first JLA book boyfriend, the original series that we met Zayne in.  So I was definitely glad when Roth did show up again.  As always, once I picked this up to read, all I wanted to do was sit and read to the very last page and do nothing else.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that, and it took me several days to finish.  Darn work and sleeping, etc.  It was so much fun to be back in the world of gargoyles and demons.  While I'd never been Team Zayne, because I was Team Roth all the way, that was with Layla.  Here, for Trinity, I became Team Zayne in no time.  What I love about Armentrout's heroines is that they are all so sarcastic and so much like I see myself and my friends.  And I love the banter and relationships between the characters in her worlds as well. The references to the tv show Supernatural, which is one of my all time favorites, other than this past year I guess, are so much fun.  The fact that Zayne has a car like Dean, totally made me laugh.  It was also fun that Trinity could talk to ghosts, that was a fun new aspect to this story.  There were so many times I thought maybe I was seeing something going on, but this author totally knows how to keep me on my toes, thinking one thing, but then the next thing that happened would send my mind down another path of what might be going on.

Loved this new story, and while it definitely was left open for another book, I mean who is this Harbinger and what are they after, it had a definite ending, so that I wasn't cursing the author for leaving me waiting till the  next book.  My only issue with the book is a slightly technical one.  When Trinity says she wanted to be an archeologist after the movie Jurassic Park, the science teacher/wannabe paleontologist in me must point out that she means paleontologist, an archeologist might be after the movie The Mummy.   

While I read an e-galley of this, I will definitely be buying a finished copy, debating if I can afford to do one of the pre-order deals, but don't think I can, so I'll just buy it when I get the chance.  I will however be sure to purchase it for my high school library with my budget money next year.