Wednesday, November 13, 2013

November is for Novellas Challenge #5: The Moth in the Mirror (Splintered 1.5) by A.G. Howard


I loved Splintered when I read it at the end of last year, and when I saw on Goodreads that there was a novella, one that kind of would help me last till the 2nd book came out, I had to have it, and so bought it with my birthday Barnes and Noble gift card for my Nook.  I would say this is definitely another novella that adds to the story.
We get Jeb's side of the story, things that were happening to him while Morpheus had Alyssa out passing his tests, to see if she could be the next rightful queen of Wonderland.  But, really, it is kind of through Morpheus's point of view.  You see Morpheus is able to get into Jeb's memories thanks to some good old fashioned magic.  So we get to also see how Morpheus reacts to what happened to Jeb when he wasn't around, and since he is in Jeb's head in a way, how Morpheus deals with Jeb's emotions as well.
I won't go much into the story, we know the basics as told through Alyssa's eyes in Splintered, this just fills in some missing pieces.  At only about 40 pages, it is another quick read, but, like the original novel, there is so much beautiful detail and description, that while it seems to be over fast, because you're so involved, it still is a lasting impression that you just get so involved in, thanks to that wonderful scene setting and character development.
Of course now I'm just ready to go ahead and read my e-galley of Unhinged, but it's not the next one I need to read, so I have to wait.  This was definitely worth the $1.99 it cost me for the e-book.