Sunday, February 24, 2019

Review: Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Book info:
TitleShadow and Bone
Author:  Leigh Bardugo
SeriesGrisha Verse  #1
Genre:  YA Fantasy
Release Date:  June 5th, 2012
Publisher:   Henry Holt and Company
Source:  Purchased copy of book
My rating:  5 stars

Synopsis:
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.


My Review:
I'm not sure what took me so long to get to this. Time, other books I'd rather read, but no matter what, now I get what all the fuss is about.  I loved this book and am so eager to read on! I finally gave in and bought a copy of this, don't remember if it was on sale, or if I decided to use my extra employee appreciation discount back in November to save more on it, but I bought it, and it was one of my goals to get it read this year.  One of my Bookish Resolutions.  Now, because I'm new to the series, there are questions I have that probably those who have read them all know the answers to.  Like, did we know the Darkling's real name?  And then so much was left kind of up to not know what is true and who is good and who is bad, etc!  I can't wait to have time to read on in this series.  So while this is a pretty short review, that's because I know so many of you have probably already read it.  But just know that I loved it and that I think the hype is totally well deserved!