Saturday, December 8, 2018

Review: Have a Heart (Love Happens #4) by Jodi Watters

Book info:
TitleHave a Heart
Author:  Jodi Watters
SeriesLove Happens #4
Genre:  Adult Contemporary Romance
Release Date:  November 9th, 2018
Source:  E-galley received from Kylie's Fiction Addiction Review Tours which did not influence my opinion
My rating:  5 stars

Synopsis:
If he had a heart, she’d be the woman he’d give it to.

A runaway bride, searching for happily ever after.
A Navy SEAL, who doesn’t believe in such things.
A bar, in the middle of nowhere, and fate, who’s been awaiting this day. 

Tessa
When I left my groom at the altar, I didn’t care where I went, or who I met along the way. 
When I walked into a roadside bar in Nowhere, California, I wasn’t planning on staying.
When I sat down beside Jason Reynolds, I had no idea who he really was. 
My world turned upside down. 
Now all I want to do is save him.

Jason
I tried to ignore her. The beautiful train wreck who’d crashed my pity party. 
I tried to fight temptation. Her sweet smile and smart mouth threatened my misery. 
I tried to walk away. My blackened soul didn’t deserve her bright, hopeful light.
My team calls me Tin Man for good reason. 
Love has no place in my life.


All books in the Love Happens series are standalones:
Next to Me (Sam)
Wrong then Right (Beckett)
True to You (Asher)
Have a Heart (Jason)


My Review:
I had read another book in the series, True to You, and really enjoyed it.  Although in that story, I had trouble with something the guy, Asher, had done to the girl, Olivia, and so that kept me from being able to give it 5 stars.  But the couple in this book, Jason and Tessa, well I got all of their issues, and even when I was a little frustrated with how they might push the other away, I understood how much their pasts had created the way they were.  The banter in this one was so fun.  I loved the beginning when Tessa walked into the bar in her wedding dress.  The steamy parts in this one, well, yeah, there might have been a bit of fanning on my part as I read them.  But it wasn't all fun and sex, nope, there was a lot of emotional parts to this story, and I know that I was fighting tears once or twice.  There was a little twist at the end that I didn't quite see coming, and can I just say, WOW!  But I loved the way that Jason handled it.

A few other things I liked had to do with when we got to see characters from the other books at the place they all worked now, well, most of the guys anyway.  I always like when authors tie the stories together that way, but still keep it so that each story is definitely a standalone.  And something silly that I commented on as I read, there's this game a lot of people have played, you know, where you throw little bean bags into holes on a board?  I'd just always heard it called like a bean bag toss.  A couple years ago at the school where I work, one of my assistant principals emailed that we'd all be playing a game called "corn-hole".  Well, I don't know about you, but just as in this book, that word, corn-hole, means something else, something sexual.  So I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought that was what the word meant.

Another great story in this series, and just as when I finished the other one, I think I want to go and read the other books in the series so that I can learn all the other characters' back stories as well.