Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bumped by Megan McCafferty



While I did enjoy this book, and hope that there is a sequel so I can find out what happens next, I must say it didn't quite live up to all the hype I read about it. I think that I more enjoyed Delirium and Wither as what I consider similar dystopian themes. However, it was good, and I will recommend it to anyone who enjoyed those books I just listed.






In this book, humans have developed a virus that makes them infertile after about the age of 18, so they must turn to teens to have their children for them. To help with that, it has become the thing to do, from the ages of 14-18, to become a surrogette, and get paid if possible. Our main character, Melody, has found out she has a twin named Harmony, who has come to live with her, and maybe bring her back to her the religious farm she has grown up on. Melody is wanting to get bumped by a professional and is under contract to do so, as soon as the couple finds a donor male who they feel is similar enough to the husband. However, Melody is getting older, and needs to do this soon, as soon she too will be infertile. Melody has great reproaestheticals, which means her looks and genes are very desirable. She is part of a club that helps promote the teen surrogettes, and even has to help her friends in this club who are pregnant and getting ready to deliver. This society is very plugged in to social network, so everyone knows what is going on.






I had some problems with all the new words that were created for this, sometimes had to stop to reread it, but other than that, the story is good. There is a little twist, which you might see coming, but I liked it, and as I said, can't wait to hopefully read on and see what happens next. I hope Jondoe turns out to be like he seems to be at the end.