Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Hazards of Working at a Bookstore



Last night as I was working at the bookstore, I found myself noticing books that I wanted to read, and trying to remember to put them in my Goodreads.com account marked as to read. And I got to thinking, why don't I do something like other blogs I read, where I have a weekly, or regular type of post. At first I wanted to name it "The Day After" and every day after I worked, post the books that I saw that I wanted to read. I think I'll call it The Hazards of Working at a Bookstore, or "The Hazards" for short. What I mean by that is, if I didn't work there, there are so many books I would probably never read. I tend to have my set types and authors, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, young adult, etc. But working at the store, yes, part of it is the cover pulling me over, but then, I'll pick it up, and read the back or the inside of the dust jacket, and be kind of hooked. I don't need to buy anymore book, or check out anymore, or ask for any more ARCs, because I have about 300 books in my office that I have NOT read yet! However, it is a sickness. I think there should be a Books Anonymous group, for people like me who can't walk past a display of books without stopping to check it out. I can't, whether it be at Walmart, a gift shop, a garage sale, I have to stop.




And so, in my first "The Hazards" blog, I have two books to tell about. First is Allison Hewitt is Trapped by Madeleine Roux. It is a zombie book, and it is about Allison Hewitt of course, and her coworkers at the bookstore where she works. They become trapped because of zombies, and she uses her blog to communicate. This books sounds like it will be very humorous and I cannot wait to read it! It's paperback, so I'll have to buy it.







The 2nd book is Delirium by Lauren Oliver. First of all, I must say the cover is beautiful!! But then of course I picked it up, and it sounds really interesting. It is a YA/Teen novel. In dystopian future, you can be cured of love. How deep is that? But then once you've done it, what if you wish you could be uncured? I can't wait to read this one either. Forutnately it is a hardcover book, so I'll be able to check it out from the bookstore.