Friday, February 4, 2011

Breathless by Dean Koontz


First off, Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors ever. His last few books though haven't been my favorite types of his, because he does have a wide range of stories in my opinion. This book came out last December, when I was broke. I normally buy all his books, well the last 10 or so, in hardcover. However, I had to wait until this came out in paperback, and I even had to wait longer. But this was really back to the type of his books that I like. My favorite Dean Koontz book of all time is Watchers. I love the way Dean Koontz writes about animals, dogs especially. The way he makes them out to be is exactly how I see dogs in my life. This book has a dog that fits this perfectly. It's not a Golden Retriever for a change, but that's okay. The expressions and actions of the dog are just perfect, you know Koontz loves his dog and other dogs from the way he writes about them. Another thing I loved about this book is that I had just been reading an article in Discover magazine about how science theories/laws that we believe are being disproved, and this book touches on that. Not that I agree with all he has to say about evolution, but it still makes you think.


As usual, we meet different characters, that we can't see how they would be connected to start with. But in the end, they do all come together. What happens is one of our main characters, Grady Adams sees two creatures playing when he's out on his daily walk with his Irish wolfhound. These are creatures he's never seen before, and can't find anything to tell him what it is. And that is our big mystery that in some way connects all the characters.


The only thing about this I didn't really like, is how we had all the build up, but then I felt the end just was rushed and over so soon. I feel Grady and his helpers got away from the bad guys really quickly and easily and that there was just an anticlimactic ending. I wanted more. But I loved it all up to that point.