Monday, August 1, 2011

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's been so long since I read Nightshade, since I was lucky enough to get it read as an ARC. So it did take me a bit to get back into the story and remember where we had left off, but once I did, I loved the story. Calla wakes up in the presence of the Searchers, who she has lived her life fighting against. Shay is with them, as the scion he is revered by them. They explain to Calla how the Keepers have lied to her and all the Guardians about history and how they were created. She learns what the Searchers really want, and she learns they need her and her pack to help them. And in return, they promise to help her get her pack the freedom they so want. But Shay expects Calla to be completely over Ren since she chose to save Shay instead of killing him. But all Calla can think of is how Ren endangered himself to let her help Shay. They soon learn who among them in Vail had actually been with the Searchers all along. And soon Calla learns of what has happened to her pack in her absence when her brother shows up having had the most shocking punishment of all. Calla's family has been punished very harshly. Calla goes back to rescue who she can of her pack, as well as those who are still part of her pack, or loyal to her now instead of their other pack.

I can understand what some reviews are saying that they don't like about this. But I personally really enjoyed it. I think it was good to have all the background information and to learn so much about the history. Now, I started in really quick, and didn't quite get the probably correct descriptions of some of the characters, and so ones that I was thinking were older are maybe not the way I was thinking, since they seemed to be kind of involved with a younger character, Adne. I'm not sure how I feel about Shay in this one. He's kind of putting a lot of pressure on Calla. I'm really disappointed in Ren as well, but I can totally understand why she is having all the 2nd thoughts about whether to give in to her feelings about Shay, or not give up on Ren. She feels as if she's betrayed Ren, especially after she goes back and finds out what has actually happened to her pack. The story is really sad, but really gripping. I had trouble putting it down. So great book. I felt the same though as with the last few books of the Harry Potter series, or the Twilight series. I had to rush through them to know what happened, but now I have to wait forever to read the next book! That to me is the sign of a great story!



View all my reviews