Wednesday, April 14, 2010

This World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer


First, I have to say how disappointed I am right now that due to my current financial situation I'm unable to attend the MASL spring conference where the author of this book, Susan Beth Pfeffer will be. I thought about asking our librarian to take my books to get autographed, but then decided it's just not the same as getting it done myself and then having a picture with the author to show off. I wish when I'd gotten Stephenie Meyer's autograph I'd gotten a picture, and don't remember why I didn't. I didn't get Ellen Hopkins autograph my first year at MASL, I'm not too disappointed about that now that I'm not as impressed with her after listening to her bash on Stephenie Meyer over and over. I have no respect for someone who treats someone else in their field that way just because they don't like their work.


Anyway, back to the book. This is the 3rd in the series that started with Life as We Knew It. In the first book, an asteroid slams into the moon and knocks it out of its orbit, closer to Earth. Of course this causes all kinds of problems, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and all this soon causes clouds to block out the sun. Which leads to cold and electricity soon goes out and plants and people die. In the first book the main character is Miranda, it is her diary we're reading. The 2nd book is The Dead and The Gone, and it is set in New York city with Alex Morales and his sisters being our main characters. This books is in Miranda's hometown again, and we see how life is almost a year later. And soon her father and step-mom and new baby brother show up. Along with them are Alex and his sister Julie.


This was a good book, I didn't want to put it down because I just wanted to know, do things get better now that they're all reunited. But alas, spoiler alert, things don't get better. Some things are worse, some are a little better, but we aren't left in a wonderful feel good mood. But I still think it was a good book.


I didn't know there was going to be a 3rd in the series, so hoping that maybe there'll be a fourth so I can see what happens next?