Sunday, May 20, 2018

Three NewAdult/Adult Romance 5-Star Mini-Reviews

These are not YA/Teen, so I decided to group them together, although one isn't really quite the same as the others, it matches most closely for how I wanted to group them.  I've reviewed them in order of steam in a way.  While the first one is a paranormal romance, the age of the characters make it New Adult, and it is just slightly sexy.  The last one in the review is VERY sexy, probably way more than some people are interested in, so you can stop before that if you want to.  Again, trying to get caught up on my reviews!

Brave (A Wicked Trilogy #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout:
Genre:  New Adult Paranormal Romance
Published:  December 11th, 2017
Source:  Purchased physical copy
My rating:  5 stars

After the end of the second book in the series, Torn, I was so ready to read on, I just didn't quite have the time to pick it up right away. But, as usual, with any JLA book, I picked it up and could barely put it down to go to sleep!  I love the way the end all went down.  It was a battle worth reading, the build-up, the betrayals, the things that had to be sacrificed, all of it was so good.  And as usual, I adored Tink.  So much about him in this book. And then of course, there was Ren.  I love Ren, but I'm with Ivy when she gets mad about him trying to keep her out of the action.  Even if you get his motivation.  There were also very steamy moments with Ivy and Ren.  I loved the twist with the Prince, and the Queen, and all of it!  I won't say a lot, because I won't give stuff away for those who haven't read the other books in the series.   In case you haven't read even the first one yet, go check out my review of Wicked, HERE.  So far, I have yet to find anything that JLA can do wrong when writing a story.

Here is the blurb from Goodreads:

Ivy Morgan hasn't been feeling like herself lately. Not like anyone can blame her. After all, being held captive by a psychotic fae prince hell-bent on permanently opening the gates to the Otherworld is bound to leave some mental scars. 

It’s more than that, though. Something dark and insidious is spreading throughout Ivy, more powerful than she could ever imagine... and it’s coming between her and the man she’s fallen deeply in love with, elite Order member Ren Owens. 

Ren would do anything to keep Ivy safe. Anything. But when he makes a life altering choice for her, the fallout of his act has far reaching consequences that threaten to tear their lives apart. 

If Ivy is going to have any hope of surviving this, she must put aside the hurt and betrayal she feels, and work with not only those she loves, but with an enemy she would rather kill than ever trust. War is coming, and it soon becomes clear that what Ivy and Ren thought they knew about the Order, themselves, and even their enemies, has been nothing but a cluster of dangerous, deadly lies. 

Ivy knows she must be more than just brave to save those she loves--and, ultimately, to save herself. 

Because behind every evil fae Prince, there’s a Queen….


Felony Ever After:  A Domino Anthology - 13 authors - 1 story:
Authors:  Debra Anastasia, Belle Aurora, Nina Bocci, JM Darhower, Helena Hunting, Vi Keeland, SM Lumetta, Liv Morris, Leisa Rayven, KA Robinson, Katherine Stevens, Tijan, Penelope Ward
Genre:  Adult Contemporary Romance
Published:  March 22nd, 2016
Source:  Won copy in FB giveaway, gifting did not influence my opinion
My rating:  5 stars 


Can I just say WOW?!  This book had every chapter done by a different author, but honestly, I couldn't tell it was a different person writing!  Normally you get a little bit different feel, but not with this, it flowed perfectly!  And the story was a fun one, maybe had a few predictable aspects to the story, but they played out uniquely and kept my interest.  In fact at one point it went in a totally different direction than I expected.  Also, hilarious!  The hilarity of each chapter is another thing that amazed me.  Normally not all authors can do the same funny, but these all did!  I'd had this sitting in my room for awhile to read since I won it, but decided to finally pick it up and read it when I realized there were several authors in it that were new to me, but that I would get the chance to meet them at Book Bonanza in July.  I also am interested to read other books by these authors now.   Oh yeah, I love when books use things like emails or instant messaging, etc., to tell the story. This one included Twitter posts, which were part of what made this such a hilarious story.

Here is the blurb from Goodreads:  

Verity Michaels is new to New York City, but even she knows riding in a stolen cab is not a normal way to meet someone. Damn it if that tattoo-covered would-be felon isn’t everywhere now, and lighting everything on fire under her skirt.

His name is Hudson Fenn, and he’s frustratingly impossible to pin down. He works as a bike messenger, but has the manners of a prince—along with a strange tendency toward breaking and entering. As much as Verity knows he’s not her type, and likely to land her in jail, she can’t help but find her truest self when they’re together.

Can she be brave enough to give Hudson a real chance? Will he be bold enough to reveal the man beneath the ink, or will his secrecy doom their connection? Also, WTF is the deal with Verity’s boss? No less than thirteen of your favorite romance writers have teamed up to tell this sexy, wacky, snort-inducing tale. With them you’ll visit the world’s most irritating office, a VIP room of questionable cleanliness, and the fanciest apartment a bike messenger has ever inhabited, but you’ll still never see this ending coming.


Rock F*ck Club by Michelle Mankin:
Genre:  Adult Rock Star Romance
Published:  April 10th, 2017
Source:  Purchased copy from author at KIKC 2018
My rating:  5 stars 
 


So this one is a LOT raunchier than the other two books in this post, so I saved it for last.  If too much sex, taboo sex, etc., is not your thing, or offends you, you probably want to stop reading this post.  Because as you can probably tell from the title it is basically about sex.  I'm going to be honest, and you know I liked this book, I gave it 5 stars.  But honestly, I love that it didn't water down what the actual plot/storyline was supposed to be.  She really did follow through with her 10 rock stars, well, for the most part.  Early on in the story she did meet the one that she ends up with, the one that she will fall in love with. But at first he was kind of irritating to her.  So she kept going with her plan.  There was one of the guys that turned out to be a bad guy, and intended to do things she didn't want to do, force her even.  And the way the author handled that whole situation was done well in my opinion.  This book definitely was one that gave the woman the power, the permission if you will, to take her sexuality and do with it as she wanted, not to feel she had to conform to what society believes.  It also showed that not only was it okay, there was a guy out there, who while he may not have been happy, he was jealous, he didn't shame her or look down on her as society does. And I think that is important in the world of romance, that it can be shown that way.  Again, that is my opinion.

I met this author for the first time at the Kinky in Kansas City Convention this past March, and I look forward to seeing her again at Book Bonanza in July, and will probably buy another book from her.  Well, if I decide to do any pre-ordering!  But I know I will read more by her in the future.  She knows how to put the steam into the love story.

Here is the blurb from Goodreads:

10 cities in two weeks 10 famous rockstars. On my knees. Against the wall. On my tits
I don't care. As long as I get the evidence to prove it. Why? Because I caught my former prick of a boyfriend from Heavy Metal Enthusiasts doing a groupie doggie style backstage on the night we were supposed to be celebrating our 1 year anniversary.

He told me I was too uptight. Too vanilla. Too boring. So I got drunk with my bestie, Marsha West, the aspiring videographer. I ranted. I raved. I came up with a crazy idea. What I didn't know was that my best friend recorded me. Marsha put the video up on YouTube. It went viral with 10 million hits. Now I've got fans and sponsors offering me big bucks.

Rockstars are volunteering to be my f*ck buddy.
Hollywood is calling.
I get to choose which rockstars I want.
The stakes are high.
This sh*t just got real.
What could go wrong?