Thursday, October 17, 2013

Booking Through Thursday #3


Well, the book I'm reading is taking me longer than planned.  I should have gone ahead and posted a Waiting on Wednesday yesterday, but didn't.  So I will have to go ahead and post this today, and maybe, hopefully, my review of my book tomorrow.  So, even though it looks like the prompt is from 2 weeks ago, here here is my third time of Booking Through Thursday: (P.S. - I like this meme, but maybe need to make a new button for it that won't be either really tiny or blurry.)

Which is better (or preferred) … stories with multiple character points of view? Or stories that stick to just one or two at most? And, why?

This is a really good question I think.  I do enjoy stories with multiple character points of view, especially when told from a first person point of view.  But, the characters must sound different enough as I read them that I don't forget who we are reading about just because I'm no longer on the first page of that section where their name is.  For example, Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys series is actually done in 3rd person, but the different character points of view are done in a way that is really great!  Unfortunately, even though I am a big fan of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series, I did not enjoy his newer Kane Chronicles series, because of this very reason.  I had trouble remembering who was the chapter narrator because they sounded so close.  Now I never read on past The Red Pyramid in that series, so who knows, maybe it got better.  
So tell me what you think about this topic?  Do you like just one point of view, or multiple?  And would you prefer it be in first person, or third person?