Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Soul to Save by Rachel Vincent

I've finished the Volume 1 book in the Soul Screamers, by reading book #2 My Soul to Save.  But before I can go on to the Before I Wake that I got from BEA, I will have to read numbers 3-5.5 in the series, and that will include two "half" books, 3.5 and 5.5.  But Volume 2 doesn't come out until November, and it only includes up to book 4.  Sooo, guessing I'll be looking to the library to check them out and read them, and then purchasing the 2nd volume when it is published in November.  Aaaah!  So complicated.  Plus, I'm guessing at some point there will be a volume 3 too, and while I own #6 already with Before I Wake, I'll have to wait for that too.  Such craziness.  Oh well.  But let me say, I honestly was able to give the volume 1 book 5 out of 5 stars as I gave each individual story inside a 5 star rating.
My Soul to Save was not disappointing at all!  Of course there will be spoilers here if you haven't read any yet, but I'll try not to make them big ones.  Kaylee is now living with her father, who returned with all the troubles going on with her aunt in the 1st book.  Her father is not extremely pleased with her new boyfriend, Nash, who is also a bean sidhe (which means banshee basically), but as a male he is able to help her with her screams, in fact her screams sound like music to his ears.  Her cousin really is even more hateful to her, blaming Kaylee for her mother's death.  At the beginning they get tickets to go see a big star, turns out Nash's brother, Tod, a grim reaper as well as a bean sidhe, knows the girl who is the opening act.  While at the concert, the headliner, Eden, just collapses on stage.  Kaylee assumes she'll be okay because she doesn't get her usual urge to wail as when other people die.  Turns out that Eden sold her soul, so when she dies, there is no soul for Kaylee to wail for.  And soon we learn what happens when souls are sold, where they go, and what happens to those people when they die.  And Addison, Tod's ex-girlfriend, is next, she is on the reaper's list because she will supposedly kill herself in a week.  And when Tod finds out she also sold her soul, he wants to save her, because when you die without a soul, whoever you sold your soul to is able to torture you forever.  There is no rest, no heaven or afterlife in this case.
What I love about this book is the look into the Netherworld.  I love how we are learning what this "universe" for this author's stories is like.  The world she has created is so complex.  And I love how it all works out.  These are the kind of books that make me realize I could never be an author, that I should stick to reading, because it just amazes me how they've thought of all the details.  Made their worlds work.  I know that what we've learned and seen in this story will definitely tie in to future stories, whether it is just that we now know how things work in the Netherworld, or have an idea what Kaylee and Nash will have to face if they need to go there.  So good.  I'm ready to read on, if I had the rest of the books between this and the #6 that I do have, I'd definitely read on.  I do love when I can just read straight through a series and not have to wait.  But, alas, as I said before, I don't have the next couple books.  So, it's on with the books in my TBR pile, and on my Nook from Netgalley.
Really, if you haven't started these books, you should give them a try.  I just get sucked right in every time I pick one up!